Saturday 29th September 10.30 – 11.30am Holy Hour of Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament in St Gregory’s. You are welcome to join us for prayer for all those who have been bereaved, or have experienced loss in their lives, for ourselves and for deceased parishioners. Refreshments afterwards. (Confessions will still be heard during this hour.)
The Parish of St Gregory and Our Lady of Peace bereavement team is a parish based team who offer supports to anyone who is experiencing the pain of bereavement. We achieve this through offering care support and friendship. We offer phone calls, visits, social events and opportunities for people to meet and pray. We are trained in listening skills and we respect confidentiality.
All of us have been touched by bereavement in some way. You may have lost a beloved wife or husband, a life partner, a beloved child, a parent, a brother or sister, a friend who has been part of our life or a colleague who shared with us. Those who are bereaved know who they are.
Contacting the Bereavement Team
Please contact the parish office by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01789 292439 or
Contact the Bereavement Team directly
If you would like more information, or a home visit, or for us to pray for you or another. Please contact us directly on 07592 572978 or email: email@example.com. If you prefer please complete one of our forms with your contact details on, and return it to us in the stamped addressed envelope. Both available in the porch.
The team will continue to respond to requests for help.
- Each year a Mass is said for all who are bereaved. This year the Mass was in May. This is followed by refreshments.
- Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament in September. A time for reflection, prayer and music. To pray both for those who mourn and those loved ones who have died. This is followed by refreshments.
- A Remembrance service in November for all parishioners who have died, giving those who mourn an opportunity to pray at this special service. Names are read out of those who have died during the year. The graves are blessed at St Gregory’s. Sharing and meeting together afterwards, with refreshments. The following day the graves are blessed at the cemetery on Evesham Road.
- At Christmas parishioners bring red Poinsettias plants to Our Lady of Peace in memory of loved ones.
- Masses are arranged throughout the year to pray for our deceased and for those who mourn.
- Team Members are available after some masses during the year.
- Team members are available at the funeral Mass.
- The team links in with other parish groups to provide opportunities for people to meet and share.
- The team will continue to respond to requests for help, and provide occasional sessions for example:
- how to make a will
- how to prepare for ones funeral service
- the grief process
- We provide information, leaflets, booklets and prayers for those grieving.
- Cards are sent to bereaved parishioners, and remembered at the first anniversary.
- The Prayer Trust www.theprayertrust.org.uk
- Age UK telephone 0800 055 6112 www.ageuk.org.uk
- The Compassionate Friends 0345 123 2304 firstname.lastname@example.org , www.tcf.org.uk
- Cruise Bereavement Care 0808 808 1677 email@example.com www.cruse.org.uk
Some passages from Scripture which might offer some comfort to you
- Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted”
- Romans 8:11 “If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you”
- Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest”
- “It is important to Remember that there’s really no such thing as normal grieving. Each person needs his or her own way or time” Gerald Costello